Sights & Highlights
Highlights of the trip were
- Villa Casale (Piazza Armenia) which is usually overcrowded, but we went there very early in the morning before the tourist busses arrived
- Syracus with its Catacombs and the Ear of Dionysios in the Archeological Parc
- Baroque towns Noto, Modica, Ragusa and Caltagirone
- Pantalica and Val d'Anapo
- Alcantara Canyon, though the water was unberably cold for me (of course not for Patrick :-O)
- Lava fields of Mount Etna (Etna Nord)
- Patrick also enjoyed the cycling from Nicosia to Bronte through the Nebrodi (northern mountain chain) quite a lot, but I found it to hilly for a very sunny day with a temperature of 26°C.
Snorkeling and Bathing
- Isola Bella (Taormina), perhaps because the weather was much better than on our days at the south coast
The following map gives an overview of the sights with their geographic location. If you click on the hyperlinks in the sidebar, you will get more information on the day trip including an elevation profile see a photo with a short description.