First of all, you must enjoy sitting on your bicycle. If you have got the feeling, that it is too small or too big for you, buy a new bicycle!
Patrick and I both use the same bikes for our daily business as well as for the cycling tours. We can't see the point to conserve our good bikes for holiday trips and annoy ourselves with cheaper bikes for the remaining 320 to 340 days per year.
I found the following aspects important for my bicycle:
- Weight (14kg are enough...)
- Gears (I am happy with my Shimano Deore LX group)
- Breaks (I use Magura HS33, but consider to change to V Brakes as those are easier to repair if no fancy bicycle shop is around)
- Pedals (should give foot halt, best are click pedals, but I don't like them)
- Cable locks are not secure...